Tuesday, November 1, 2011

About Me

Hello all, my name is Miyuki.  I am twenty years old and of short stature.
I'm not quite sure why I got into doing this.  I'm obviously not very far into whatever "this" is.  I don't really know what I want to do with my life.  That seems to be the point.  I love writing, but I don't think I can reasonably make a living off of it.  I guess all of this writing and such is a way to see whether or not I love this enough to do it without making a a very good living off of it.

Now, about me.  I read so much fanfiction it is amazing I have time to breath.  I always have too many things I want to do, and not so many things that I do get done.  I used to be pre-dental and I still get upset when I think about how I'm not pursuing that life's goal anymore.

I love to tell stories.  It doesn't matter what it is.  It could be an original story, a manga I read recently, a fanfiction I enjoyed, a book I had to read for class, a discussion we had in class, it could be anything.  It's not so much that I love talking, but that I feel like I should be contributing things to conversations and nothing seems like a better contribution to me than an interesting story.  I'm horrible though at figuring out what people do and don't find interesting though.

I've been telling stories since I can talk and I've been writing stories (and taking myself seriously about it) since middle school.  I prefer to write silly humorous fanfiction because it is easy to get people to enjoy but I'm horribly afraid to write a humorous original story.  I hope that with time I'll push these boundaries back.

If you want to use me for a project, right now I don't have the time to proofread/edit for free.  For the type of editing that I do, according to this I should be charging at least $40 an hour.  I can probably edit maybe 4k words per hour on a low end?  That's when you need a lot of help.  If I'd have to guess I would say that I get maybe 7 or 8k words an hour done?  It depends on the formatting.

In general my editing would consist of me reading the entire segment, trying to get a feel for characters, and then going over everything at least twice to make sure that the narration flows and that I can get it as grammatically correct as possible while maintaining the character's voice.  I'll also make notes about where the story doesn't make a lot of sense.  When I put it like that I feel like $40 probably isn't that unreasonable.  It's a lot of work, but since hourly rates make me uncomfortable about something like this and that $40 seems like a lot, my rate is 200 words per dollar.  That's about $20 per hour and sounds reasonable to me.  Of course, if it's really simple, like I'm a second or third proofreader, I can adjust the rate accordingly, probably up to 500 words per dollar.

tl;dr Right now if you want me to edit things for you then it will cost between 200 - 500 words/dollar depending on if I'm the first or second reader.

I have absolutely no rates for writing, and I'm not sure if I have the time right now to pick up another project, especially considering that I'm participating NaNoWriMo, but you are welcome to contact me.

If you would like to hire me, or talk to me, or consult with me, please contact me at tangerinetriangle@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment